Thursday, July 2, 2009

Maryland is a POOR Example of Successful Consolidation

As a follow-up to my previous post entitled Dumbing Down New Jersey, the Education Research Center (www.edweek.org/rc) released the results of the 2008 High School Graduation rates. As seen on the diagram below, New Jersey had the HIGHEST graduation-rate percentage at 83.3%, while Commissioner Davy's model of consolidation, Maryland, ranked 23rd at 73.6%.

Our test scores are higher in EVERY category with the highest graduation-rate. Maybe Maryland should consider de-regionalizing to follow the example of New Jersey's Public Schools.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud to be a public school teacher in New Jersey! I do not work in Harding School District, but I found your blog online. I plan to share this with my colleagues in the Fall. Thanks for promoting our public schools...

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely ridiculous! I am outraged at the Department of Education... I had NO idea that this was happening until I read your blog. A friend of mine sent me a link to this posting.

I plan to share this information with my school superintendent and town council. Your blog is reaching far beyond your school community.

Thanks for fighting for this cause. Academically, this is not the right thing for our students... More parents should be speaking up!

Anonymous said...

I find it crazy that some schools are below 50%. On the other hand, I am happy to know I live in a very educationally abundant state.

Superintendent's Corner said...

I agree completely! I think we are failing as a nation, but I am really confident in our new Secretary of Education, Arnie Duncan. He has a new movement towards a national curriculum. I will post more details as the plan is rolled out.